Friday, May 22, 2009

8,000 feet up and Loving it!

So it has been awhile since i last posted, mainly because I have had no access to a computer! I will start were I first left off though. When I awoke in my hotel room, it was 20 times less creepy because it was light out, and let me tell you the view from my room was incredible, the moutain ranges were absolutely incredible. I was picked up by Kate a former SCA and know a seasonal worker here in Yellowstone, and who eerily looks like Dr. Bohmler it is very weird lol. Anyways after some errands to wal-mart and getting another SCA from the airport we start to head to Yellowstone. Upon pulling into the park I see a pronghorn, something that looks right out of Africa, it was nuts! I meet my boss Brian who is a really cool guy and I have a feeling we will get along fine, I mean he's a Philly Phan it dont get much better! So after I meet him he tells me I'm staying in Mammoth which is the part of the park I'm already in and then I will move down to Lake then next day which will be my permanent home. So I arrive at where I am going to spend the night and there are bison in the front yard!!!!! It was plain awesome!!! Later that night I was also able to see a herd of elk moving through as well, its just incredible really.

The next day I roll into the Lake and arrive at my summer home, so dearingly called, the Fish Dorm lol. I meet my bunk mates who are all pretty cool for the most part. As the day goes on though it somewhat strikes me that this may be harder than I thought, I have no cell service, no car and no Internet, I start to get homesick, first time I think it has every happened to me this hard. I soon find out thought that the phone in the dorm dials out so this makes things a little better, also I find out that the nearby office has computer access so I am doing fine now. So far this week it has been nothing too exciting just a lot of talks and presentations as we go through our orientation here. Yes I did receive bear safety training, and sorry Ray the chances of me killing a bear are slim to none with slim on vacation lol, it seems that mostly there are very few predatory bears here in Yellowstone. However I have already seen one, it was a grizzly on the side of the road just eating, they really are beautiful creatures, I also forgot to mention that i saw a coyote run through the parking lot the other day, pretty wild stuff.

My work here seems like it will be a blast! I work a sweet schedule with 4 ten hour days, so fridays an the weekends off! This leaves tons of time to go camping an hiking. I must say thought that were I am living is crazy, when I say Lake you most likely thinks that it is close to sea level....WRONG!!!! In fact I am about 8,000 feet up in elevation which makes running crazy but Im gettin used to it!!! Since this monday is the holiday I do have off but tuesday I will be taking my first trek into the woods with Brian to do some observations on a nearby creek I will be out overnight and I am super pumped for it!!!!!!

As for now that is all i really have time for. Oh just know that I dont have access to facebook, thanks US government lol. But I will update this as often as possible!!!! I do also have a mailing address here if you would like a pen pal for the summer :) it is :

Alex Crouse
PO Box 3040
Lake Station
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190

Also any spare books or DVDs will be used i have TV where I am lol

Until next time.... “Only time will tell if it was time well spent” -Jimmy Buffet

5 comments:

  1. I WANT A DAMN BEAR YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED BACK IN 407 WITHOUT ONE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, hahahaha, Ray. Have an amazing time, Alex! You better come back with RIDICULOUS stories for those of us stuck on the East Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol ray my chances of even seeing a bear are slim here and killing one is illegal lol, i can get some pretty sick fish tho if i try....btw we bought beer in a wal-mart the other day....PA has a long way to go lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. so nice to hear you're doing well... i expect many interesting stories by august! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so alex... i realized you likely don't know my aim. this is alison beren werdt, just so you don't think i'm some creeper or one of your naca bitches.

    ReplyDelete